Monday 16 July 2012

Cerebus Prequels & Sequels

Epic Magazine #26 (Marvel Comics, October 1984)
Art by Dave Sim & Gerhard
DAVE SIM:
(from Cerebus TV Season 3 Episode 18, 2 March 2012)
My own view with Cerebus is to leave well enough alone. The reader not only wants you to revisit the material, they want you to go back to 1981 and go back to being who you were then, and to take them back to 1981 and who they were then. I don’t think it can be done, and even if it could, I wouldn't want to do it. I want to be in 2012 and do material that interests me at age 55 which didn't interest me nearly as much when I was 25. At the same time I'm completely open to anyone who wants to do a Cerebus prequel or sequel. I won't authorise it or endorse it, but I won't try to legally crush it like an insect either. It's a risk someone else will have to take if they choose to. You'd better 'measure up' because if you don't, it's going to be a giant step backwards in your own career, but I don't think anyone could rationally blame me... if the prequel falls short.

No comments: