Friday 7 December 2012

This Looks Like A Job For... Rabbi!

Miracles From God: Cerebus #272 (November 2001)
Art by Dave Sim & Gerhard
DAVE SIM:
(from the annotations to Latter Days, 2003)
It was only when I decided that Cerebus would have a Rabbi "secret idolatry" and started sketching him that I thought, this looks awfully familiar somehow and realised that I was drawing a more "cartoony" version of the warthog in the porkpie hat and morning coat from Mary Hemingway's dream on the African safari on the afternoon of Sunday, September 13, 1953 (Form & Void, page 498). I threw a couple of warts on either side of Cerebus' face and a lot of extraneous bristling hair and son-of-a-gun if he didn't suddenly look exactly like a Rabbinic version of Cerebus. If - in a women's dream whose diary I would one day adapt into comic-book form on the other side of the world over two years before I was born - this was, indeed, the first "appearance" of Cerebus as Rabbi... well, it seems to me that that would make God even more of a comic-book "continuity freak" than Mark Gruenwald and E. Nelson Bridwell rolled into one.
Cerebus #256 (July 2000)
Art by Dave Sim & Gerhard

1 comment:

Gabe McCann said...

Rabbi is so good he should have his own comic book series.
....
oh wait he does. just not in our world
:-(

Gabe McCann