Wednesday 25 November 2015

Dreams part 1

MARGARET LISS:
A few years ago I scanned all of Dave Sim's notebooks. He had filled 36 notebooks during the years he created the monthly Cerebus series, covering issues #20 to 300, plus the other side items -- like the Epic stories, posters and prints, convention speeches etc. A total of 3,281 notebook pages detailing his creative process. I never really got the time to study the notebooks when I had them. Just did a quick look, scanned them in and sent them back to Dave as soon as possible. So this regular column is a chance for me to look through those scans and highlight some of the more interesting pages.

Time for a little something different. Instead of looking at just one notebook, I'm going to look at a theme that runs across a couple notebooks. This entry is on Dave's dream entries. I'm going to show two this week, and one next week.

The first dream diary entry shows up on page 37 of notebook 21, which covered Cerebus #197 to 211. Dave has dated September 4, 1995.

Notebook #21, page 37
The text on the side states "Inking MacMurrary's Jacket. Rain-soaked field next to my parent's place. Using Ger's Pluto reflections - lot of x hatched (unknown). I'm the husband as we start to make love. She has transferred her tattoos to part of me mostly on my left side."

The next dream entry is in notebook #25, which covered Cerebus #227, however you can see where Dave wrote the number box for Cerebus #248.

Notebook #25, page 36
The text of the entry:
Jaka on the floor in a drawing room playing with her young son. Making a mental inventory of the toys that he is to have just "Exactly the ones that Uncle Julius had when he came to..." The toddler unexpectedly throws his arms around her and she wakes up clutching Missy.



2 comments:

Jeff Seiler said...

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! I was going to say, "even you trolls", but no one's a troll today.

I am thankful for all of God's rich blessings in my life, for Dave Sim, for Gerhard, for Cerebus, and all that those three have added to my life.

Anonymous said...

lots of x hatch needed