Tuesday 9 April 2013

Sim's Road Bit

'Sim's Road Bit' in Rare Bit Fiends #3 (September 1994)
Art by Dave Sim
RICK VEITCH:
(from Roarin' Rick's Rare Bit Fiends #3, September 1994)
When I travel away from home I carry a small black sketchbook to make a visual record of my dreams in. This serves to keep me focused on my work, even on the fly, and comes in handy when someone invariably walks up and says "I had the WEIRDEST dream last night!". I hand 'em the Road Bits sketchbook and tell 'em to put it down on paper. Some get right into it immediately and accept the challenge, others wait until they are back in the relative safety of their studios to come through...

Rick Veitch is a comic writer/artist best known for his creator-owned work on Brat Pack, Heartburst, The One and Can't Get No, as well as his work on corporate comics including Greyshirt, Supreme and Swamp Thing. Between 1994 and 1996 he self-published 21 issues of dream-inspired comics in Roarin' Rick's Rare Bit Fiends (a reference to Winsor McCay's Dream of the Rarebit Fiend), the first 20 issues of which were collected in three paperback volumes via his King Hell imprint. Rick Veitch had a cameo in the Cerebus story arc Guys as "Roaring Rick" where Cerebus is dreaming, and Roaring Rick appears to him and gives a surreal monologue on the nature of dreams and lucid dreaming. 

No comments: