Sunday 15 March 2015

Cerebus Jam: Will Eisner

DAVE SIM:
(from Cerebus Jam #1, April 1985)
The Will Eisner. I didn't want to take up too much of his time, so I pencilled the splash page, Gerhard inked it and I lettered it. Then I laid out and lettered the whole story and pencilled and inked the Cerebus figures. Please, Mr Eisner, all you have to do is tighten up Dolan and the Spirit in pencil.

When the story can back, Dolan and the Spirit were fully inked, as well as most of the window on page two panel one, a lot of the bric-a-brac on page three and the last two panels of the story.

Inside was a very nice note saying he was sorry he spoiled the fun I would have had inking him, but he felt like a kid again and got carried away.

Gerhard did the backgrounds over my rough layouts.

Will Eisner has spent decades proving that this art form, this sequential narrative can aspire to and achieve the level of capital "A" art. With Will Eisner's Quarterly, Life On Another Planet and, most particularly, A Contract With God, he continues to show us, all of us, the way.

No comments: